In this article, we will talk about the Lord’s Cricket Stadium pitch report according to all Cricket formats Test, ODI, T20I. You will also get to know about pitch and ground conditions in detail, matches records of all Cricket formats also matches records, Innings average scores of Test, ODI, T20I matches, toss factor, and winning records.
Lord’s Cricket Stadium is commonly known as Lord’s. It is situated in London, England. In 1814, this third ground of Thomas Lord was opened, soon becoming the principal venue, as cricket became the world leading sport in 19th century. Marylebone Cricket Club owns the stadium and it is home of England Cricket Board.
This stadium is capable of holding 30000 visitors at single time. English government has developed proposals to increase the capacity of the stadium.
Lord’s Cricket Stadium Pitch Report
The pitch of the Lords Cricket Stadium mainly aids bowlers, and batsmen struggle, in particular opening batsmen. Fast bowlers get a tremendous swing, which makes it very hard for batmen on top as the new ball moves a lot. This pitch also gives fast bowlers additional rebound. The pitch also helps spin bowlers, providing spin bowlers well spinning and bounce. Batsmen also get most runs but domination of bowlers increases nowadays.
Lord’s Cricket Ground Test Pitch Report
Test Match Pitch Report and Toss Factor:
For fast bowlers as well as spin bowlers, bowling in this venue is much enjoyable and most bowlers get help from the pitch. In the first days of the test, it is a little easier to bat this pitch, but once the match moves onto the final days of the test match, the pitch will help fast bowlers more and more swinginging and bouncing from the pitch. The spin bowlers get turns well and also bounce, and the spin attack on the 4th and 5th days of the test match is very dangerous. In the first innings the pitch is a utopia for batsmen, so the team which wins the toss generally decides to bat first to achieve a winning score.
Here are the last 5 test matches average scores of all 4 Innings at the Lord’s Cricket Ground:
- Test Matches 1st Innings Average Score – 151.4 runs
- Test Matches 2nd Innings Average Score – 282 runs
- Test Matches 3rd Innings Average Score – 222 runs
- Test Matches 4th Innings Average Score – 91.25 runs
We can conclude that the average score in the 4 Innings in the last 5 test matches on Lord’s Cricket Ground is comparatively lower to the first but higher in second innings, and with each of the subsequent innings, the average score is getting less. It is obvious that the first two innings can be easily scored as the swing is smaller. The dry spot and the flat wicket are useful to the spin bowlers when they bowl on those decks.
In last 5 matches, 2 matches have very low totals in 4th innings. As because the target was low.
Test Matches Winning Record at Lord’s Stadium:
In the last 5 Test matches held here, the team batting first has won two matches, 3 matches was won by the team batting second and one match was drawn.
Lord’s Cricket Ground ODI Pitch Report
ODI Match Pitch Report and Toss Factor:
Although this is a batting pitch, ODI teams prefer bowling first because of the dew effect. The ground has dry pitch and it supports batmen and spin bowlers, and also slightly grassy, which thus supports seam bowlers. Therefore, it is important to decide whether to bat or bowl first in the pitch. Of the 67 total matches played here, 31 teams have won batting first and 32 teams have won batting second.
Here are last 5 ODI matches average scores of both Innings at the Lord’s Ground:
- ODI Matches 1st Innings Average Score – 278.4 runs
- ODI Matches 2nd Innings Average Score – 270.8 runs
The pitch condition for one day International matches is similar to the test matches. The teams batting first and teams batting second have scored almost the same run during the last five ODI matches.
ODI Matches Winning Record at The Rose Bowl Stadium:
In the last five matches played here, all teams has won batting first.
Lord’s Cricket Ground T20I Pitch Report
T20I Match Pitch Report and Toss Factor:
The teams winning the toss at T20I matches usually prefer batting first because the ground has a punching/batting pitch. Mostly because of the dew factor. Since the T20I matches are played for the day or for all the night, the bowlers have difficulty controlling the ball in the second innings. In addition, it is hard to conclude based on only 10 T20I matches.
Here are last 5 T20I matches average scores of both Innings at the Lord’s Ground:
- T20I Matches 1st Innings Average Score – 161.6 runs
- T20I Matches 2nd Innings Average Score – 137.8 runs
Watching the average of the last 5 T20I matches, the average score for the first Innings is obviously higher than the second Innings. Teams bowling first got success recent T20Is. 6 matches out of the 10 T20I matches played here won batting first.
T20I Matches Winning Record at The Lord’s Stadium:
In the last five T20I matches played on the grounds here, the team batting first has won 3 matches and the team bowling first has won 2 matches.
Lord’s Stadium Ground and Pitch Conditions
The pitch is dry and have grass, which is perfect for both batsmen and bowlers. Batting conditions are excellent and average scores of 300+ in test matches are mostly common. The wicket is more flatter recently. The task is quite difficult for spin bowlers.
In test matches, the spin bowlers can be of great help to the team. In summer day, the dry flat spot favours spinners in Test and ODI matches, and the winning teams prefer to bat first. Spin bowlers can help the third and fourth innings to decrease the chase because the flat pitch and footprint cause a good spin.
The Lord’s Cricket Stadium Boundary Length:
The distance from the center of the pitch to the straight boundary is about 88.87 meters.
Lord’s Cricket Stadium Matches Records
Here, we are sharing the results and scorecards of the last 5 matches played in each format in The Lord’s Stadium. This in addition to the detailed pitch report and ground conditions explained before will help you develop an understanding of the pitch behavior in all four Innings of Test matches and both Innings in case of ODI and T20I matches.
Test Matches Records
A total of only 139 Test matches have been played in the stadium between 1884 and 2019. India has played 16 test matches here, won only 2 matches.
Last 5 Test Matches Records:
Test Match 1: England vs Australia on 14 August 2019
Result: Match drawn.
- England First Innings – 258 runs All out (77.1 overs)
- Australia First Innings – 250 runs All out (94.3 overs)
- England Second Innings – 258/5d (71 overs)
- Australia Second Innings – 154/6 (47.3 overs)
Test Match 2: England vs Ireland on 24 July 2019
Result: England won by 143 runs.
- England First Innings – 85 runs All out (23.4 overs)
- Ireland First Innings – 207 runs All out (58.2 overs)
- England Second Innings – 303 runs All out (77.5 overs)
- Ireland Second Innings – 38 runs All out (15.4 overs)
Test Match 3: England vs India on 9 August 2018
Result: England won by an innings and 159 runs.
- India First Innings – 107 runs All out (35.2 overs)
- England First Innings – 396/7d (88.1 overs)
- India Second Innings -130 runs All out (47 overs)
Test Match 4: England vs Pakistan on 24 May 2018
Result: Pakistan won by 9 wickets.
- England First Innings – 184 runs All out (58.2 overs)
- Pakistan First Innings – 363 runs All out (114.3 overs)
- England Second Innings – 242 runs All out (82.1 overs)
- Pakistan Second Innings – 66/1 (12.4 overs)
Test Match 5: England vs West Indies on 7 September 2017
Result: England won by 9 wickets.
- WI First Innings – 123 runs All out (57.3 overs)
- England First Innings – 194 runs All out (52.5 overs)
- WI Second Innings – 177 runs All out (65.1 overs)
- England Second Innings – 107/1 (28 overs)
ODI Matches Records
A total of 67 One Day International matches have been played on this ground from 1972 to 2019. India has played 8 matches here, out of which India had 4 victories and 3 defeats. One is tied
Last 5 ODI Matches Records:
ODI Match 1: England vs New Zealand on 14 July 2019
Result: Match tied.
- 1st Innings – NZ 241/8 (50 overs)
- 2nd Innings – ENG 241 runs All out(50 overs)
ODI Match 2: Pakistan vs Bangladesh on 5 July 2019
Result: Pakistan won by 94 runs.
- 1st Innings – PAK 315/9 (50 overs)
- 2nd Innings – BAN 221 runs All out (44.1overs)
ODI Match 3: Australia vs New Zealand on 29 July 2019
Result: Australia won by 86 runs.
- 1st Innings – AUS 243/9 (50overs)
- 2nd Innings – NZ 157 runs All out (43.4 overs)
ODI Match 4: England vs Australia on 25 June 2019
Result: Australia won by 64 runs.
- 1st Innings – AUS 285/7 (50 overs)
- 2nd Innings – ENG 221 All out (44.4 overs)
ODI Match 5: Pakistan vs South Africa on 23 June 2019
Result: Pakistan won by 49 runs
- 1st Innings – PAK 308/7 (50 overs)
- 2nd Innings – SA 259/9 (50 overs)
T20I Matches Records
A total of 10 International T20I matches have been played on this ground from 2009 to 2018. India has one T20I match here.
Last 5 T20I Matches Records:
T20I Match 1: Nepal vs Netherlands on 29 July 2018
Result: No result.
- 1st Innings – NL 174/4 (16.4/18 overs)
- 2nd Innings – NP did not bat
T20I Match 2: West Indies vs ICC World XI on 31 May 2018
Result: West Indies won by 72 runs
- 1st Innings – WI 199/4 (20 overs)
- 2nd Innings – World XI 127 runs All out (16.4 overs)
T20I Match 3: Sri Lanka vs Pakistan on 21 July 2009
Result: Pakistan won by 8 wickets.
- 1st Innings – SL 138/6 (20 overs)
- 2nd Innings – PAK 139/2 (18.4 overs)
T20I Match 4: England vs India on 14 June 2009
Result: England won by 3 runs.
- 1st Innings – ENG 153/7 (20 overs)
- 2nd Innings – IND 150/5 (20 overs)
T20I Match 5: Sri Lanka vs Ireland on 14 June 2009
Result: Sri Lanka won by 9 runs.
- 1st Innings – SL 144/9 (20 overs)
- 2nd Innings – IRE 135/7 (20 overs)